Skip to main content

Joho denies Mombasa County received Sh40bn

WEDNESDAY MARCH 15 2017
Governor Hassan Ali Joho meets ODM aspirants in Kizingo, Mombasa County, on March 14, 2017. PHOTO | CORRESPONDENT| NATION MEDIA GROUP 
In Summary
  • Mr Joho also denied that his county had received Sh40 billion from the national government over the last four years.
  • On Monday, the governor was barred from attending the launch of the Mtongwe Ferry presided by President Kenyatta and deputy William Ruto .
  • In Voi, Governor Mruttu accused President Kenyatta and Mr Ruto of using national government projects to earn political mileage.
Mombasa Governor Ali Hassan Joho on Tuesday mobilised his allies at the Coast to defend him after being reprimanded and told off by President Uhuru Kenyatta.
Mr Joho also denied that his county had received Sh40 billion from the national government over the last four years.
He said his county had only got Sh17 billion in the last four years.
“It has come to my attention, as is widely reported in media outlets, statements attributed to the President of Kenya, to the effect that Mombasa County Government is the beneficiary of a collective Sh40 billion in national disbursements since the onset of devolution,” he said in a statement.
“However, we seem aware of only the following exchequer issues in equitable share and conditional grants since the inception of devolution,” added the Governor.
The statement showed that the county received Sh3, 550,298,289 in the 2013/14 financial year and subsequent allocations of Sh4, 748,690,119, Sh5,600,804,835 and Sh3,499,293,348 bringing the total to Sh16,396,501,522.
Related Content
 “We would like to humbly request verification and clarification of the said amounts. We also request the immediate disbursement of the Sh23,603,498,478 billion in pending accounts. This will go a long way in solving our urgent development challenges,” he said.
MTONGWE FERRY LAUNCH
On Monday, the governor was barred from attending the launch of the Mtongwe Ferry presided by President Kenyatta and deputy William Ruto .
Governors Jeff Amason Kingi (Kilifi) and John Mruttu (Taita Taveta) said it was wrong for the police to prevent Mr Joho from attending a presidential function in his county. Speaking in Kilifi, Mr Kingi said he was shocked by the President’s remarks that Mr Joho should not follow him around like he was his wife.
In Voi, Governor Mruttu accused President Kenyatta and Mr Ruto of using national government projects to earn political mileage.
Mr Mruttu alleged that the two leaders shunned him during their tour to Taita Taveta County to launch projects on Saturday last week.

But Mr Joho’s rival, Jubilee’s aspirant Suleiman Shahbal and his running mate Ananiah Mwaboza said the party would push to have the governor held to account over the use of public funds.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MOMBASA FLOODED AS HEAVY RAINS POUND COASTAL CITY

Posted on May 5, 201710236 Views through rain water at Aga Khan stage along Nyerere Avenue in Mombasa after a heavy downpour in this photo taken on May 3, 2017. PHOTO | KEVIN ODIT By NAIRA HABIB The heavy rains being experienced across the country continue to cause havoc in different regions, with Mombasa residents being the latest victims. Most locals woke up to flooded streets following heavy rains from the last two days, with water accumulating on their doorsteps and homesteads. Those affected shared pictures of their predicament, blaming poor drainage that now they fear could result to the outbreak of waterborne diseases. Below are some of the reactions:

Kwale ODM, Jubilee politicians push campaigns against Mvurya

Jan. 23, 2017, 12:00 pm By ALLOYS MUSYOKA,  @k2musyoka A file photo of Kwale Governor Salim Mvurya. .ELKANA JACOB Several Jubilee and opposition politicians have continued their onslaught on Kwale Governor Salim Mvurya in the run-up to the August 8 poll. Hassan Mwanyoha, county ODM chairperson, said Mvurya must account for all the money he has received in the past four and a half years. “We want Mvurya to show us what he has done with the money, not just the few nursery schools [that have been opened]," said the Matuga MP. Mwanyoha addressed a rally at Jogoo grounds on Sunday alongside several MCAs and governor aspirants. He asked residents to register as voters to ensure Mvurya and the Jubilee administration are sent home. Six county chief aspirants who are all in Cord have ganged up to defeat Mvurya. They say he has failed the county in his first term in office. In apparent criticism of Mvurya, Kwale woman ...